Wednesday, February 02, 2011

St James’ cultural community - a birds eye view



Report visit by Saskia van de Ree, December 2010


Invited to pay a visit to St James Centre of Creativity (Valetta) I spent a week on Malta last month in the Mediterranean December sun. A year after I got to know my host Christopher Gatt, director of St James’ who visited Yo! Opera Festival in Utrecht in November 2009. Chris was inspired by the way Yo! Opera (the festival where I was managing director then) is exploring the connection between high art (opera) and communities. He asked: would I come over and comment - with a birds eye view - on opportunities outside in the Maltese communities. In my week on Malta St James convincingly showed how they are creatively and seriously searching to extend their scope into a wider, young community of Malta.

For my visit Sarah Spiteri (violinist and senior staff member for education both at St James and at the Malta Philharmonic Orchestra) proved to be an excellent guide. She set up a series of meetings with musicians of all sorts. Starting of with encounters (with lots of cakes and espresso) in the cafĂ© down the fortress walls of St James Centre of Creativity we soon turned outside. Band Club Houses, School yards, chapels and a rehearsal space in a warehouse, that is where the creative action is. I spent what you could call a 180 degrees treasure hunt in which I learned, amongst others, about the dualism which is embedded in Maltese society. On Malta – so I was told by practically everyone I met – all things come in two. Matters of faith, politics and pleasure are threaded in – both playful and deadly serious – juxtaposing pairs all throughout everyday life.

I visited warehouses and chapels, Band Club houses and churches. I was welcomed at the Humanistic Society’s winter reception and had the full Festa experience (including burgers and fries on the pavement) at the Bormla (Cospicua) Festa of Maria Immakultata. The Malta Philharmonic Orchestra and the all male choir of Capella Sanctae Caterina performed with convincing quality, true to their own character and scale.

While at home in the Netherlands the new government is abandoning culture as one of the pillars of civilization in which it is worth to invest, I found Malta has just increased the arts budget with 10% . The budget is still very small compared to home. But a lot of artists I met expressed a sense of momentum. Having become a member of the EU only seven years ago and with the global possibilities of Internet the country literally seems to have opened up.

My impression can be anything but complete. But I was surprised to find myself fascinated and hooked to this place and its people after only one week.

And what opportunity we have with 2018 lying ahead of us! I do see some good chances. Reporting back to the City of Utrecht I have recommended a.o. to invest in shared talent building and methodology for creative partnerships. While the Utrecht School of the Arts has a lot on offer for Maltese musicians looking for BA or MA degree, I see opportunities for international traineeships for Utrecht master students at the National Arts Festival and other places. I will be going back soon and advise any artist or cultural entrepreneur with a good plan and genuine interest in exchange to get in touch.

Saskia van de Ree, Utrecht, the Netherlands (independent art consultant)